Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Goodbye 2011, Hello 2012!

Feeling rather pregnant
Phew!  What a year 2011 has been...  My hubby and I were chatting one night at the end of December about how much has changed in the past year.  We had no idea as we began 2011 that we would:
  • find out we were pregnant 
  • both lose our jobs 
  • lose the baby 
  • both find new jobs 
  • get pregnant again
  • move to the coast  
And all of this happened within the first 4 months of 2011!!!  The past year really has tested us but provided us with so many wonderful things as well.  New friends, new career opportunities, wonderful weddings and special times with family and friends, plus a healthy pregnancy.  Yippee!
As you can tell by the photo above, I'm almost there - 39 weeks!  We finally finished the nursery so I guess our little peanut can make his/her appearance any day now... ;)  I've been working less lately, so have been able to take advantage of the extra time to do a bit of nesting.  I'm stocking our freezer full of homemade soups, casseroles, and breads, and trying to get everything all nice and clean around the house.  Yesterday I did a massive grocery shopping trip so now our cupboards are filled so I won't need to go out for anything with a newborn.
I finished the crib bedding the other day, doesn't it look nice?  I used the Sew4Home tutorial for a Pleated Crib Skirt, with only a few minor adjustments.  The fabric I chose was a heavy weight cotton so I didn't bother lining it.  I also used an old white table cloth left over from my SIL's wedding last summer as the deck sheeting, rather than a more lightweight muslin.  Overall, I think it looks fantastic.  I still need to make the chair cushions for the rocker, but I have to go into North Vancouver to pick up foam padding.  I will add it to the To Do list.

As I'm preparing to give birth shortly, I've been trying to eat really healthy and exercise lots to get my body ready for labour.  I found a great website by a naturopathic doctor in Vancouver with several great recipes.  I made the Granola a few days ago and have been enjoying a small bowl of it everyday since!  I just finished a little bowl with some greek yogurt and fresh blueberries - yum!

I've also been nesting a bit and cooking lots of food from my new Whitewater Cooks At Home cookbook that I received for Christmas (and freezing the leftovers).
I don't know if it's as good as the original Whitewater Cooks, but everything I've made from it has been delish.  So far I've tried the Warm Red Cabbage Salad with Pancetta and Goat Cheese (I used real bacon bits instead of pancetta), Emmy's Marrakesh Bowl (Moroccan beef stew), and I made up a batch of Carmelized Onion and Gorgonzola Tarts and froze them.  I imagine they will be good ;).

Here are some more photos of the nearly finished nursery:
Still not sure what to put in the frames
Changing table and shelf from Ikea

Cushionless rocking chair with nursing cover
Artwork by my SIL caleigh.ill
Baby toy brought from Germany by my other SIL and BIL
Another view of the crib
Mobiles - leftover decorations from my SIL's wedding


2 comments:

  1. wow, 39weeks already! Good luck to you! I´m kind of envious that you´ve got everything prepared for the baby :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janul. How much longer do you have? Hope you're still feeling well, xxx

      Delete